Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In Preparation

I spent several hours yesterday with my back to the kids and my face to the computer screen looking for the best buy on books.  We went ahead and started the next history book, The Story of the Middle Ages.  I had been tempted to go with a curriculum "set" and yesterday I was reminded why I LOVE these histories.  Now we were supposed to get through the Middle Ages and the Reformation this past year, but since our year started with us going back to Creation and we made it through the Romans I don't view it as a loss.  There was so much more depth this year, compared to last, even in the midst of the adoption and moving turmoil.  I am pretty sure that for American History we will get a pre-assembled curricula, but that's not now and my focus is now and making the most of everyday! 
Life with six kids is somewhat hectic.  lol!  They are all within 8 years and 3 months of each other, though it took us 12 years to get here.  Anyway, now with country living, Mr. Incredible working/getting home late (40 minute commute each way), and all the kids, our meal preparation, planning, etc. had become non-existent!  Go figure!!  But we are now into the second week of a two week menu plan that I concocted.  The best part is we haven't had the same thing twice in that time!  AND, with the exception of one night we've stuck with it!!!  (longest time yet!)  I've always had a general idea what we would eat when, but it has never been a written thing.  The necessity to write down a menu and have a plan became very evident when the closest grocery store became 7+ miles away (with high prices) and the closest Walmart is 14 miles away; I only have time once to twice a month to do a full grocery shop (3+ hours); Mr. Incredible kept using an ingredient for one thing for another thing; and we kept having the same thing (or really close) EVERY night.  I can testify that man cannot live on chicken and rice indefinitely.  There are only so many ways to have it before it is done, Done, DONE.
Maybe, one day soon, I can figure out a housework schedule that actually works and a school schedule that never needs to be revised... Doubt IT!  Oh well, life is too short to obsess about dust! :)

No comments: