Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not

We keep hearing in the news about the government's spending.  We keep hearing about the need for a balanced budget.  We keep hearing about the growing deficit.  And yet we just received out third or fourth notice from the IRS about how our tax return's adoption credit refund is STILL under review.  (and I know we are not the only family going through this)  Now I appreciate them keeping me notified that six months after filing my taxes I still don't have my refund, but it is just somewhat redundant and definitely wasteful to send FOUR letters EVERY time they notify me!  Two envelopes with two letters each, that ALL say EXACTLY the same thing!!!!!  I am wondering how many jobs our adoption tax credit alone is creating! :)  And if the government can charge interest on unpaid taxes, why is it not possible for me to charge them interest on my unpaid tax refund!?!

Mr. Incredible had a very inspired thought the other day, every senator, congressperson, and ANYONE advising the President, and the President need to take the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class.  The key to not going into debt- spend less than you make.  The key to getting out of debt- spend a lot less than you make so you can pay off debt.  Maybe then we could get our tax return!!!

I receive an e-newsletter that's called Living On a Dime.  The following is from yesterday's issue and speaks to the issue of wastefulness, it was submitted by one of her readers.
"In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag, because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."
The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."
He was right. That generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled so the company could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.
In her day they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.
But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.
Back then, they washed the baby's diaper, because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a clothesline, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day."

It's so easy for me to get entrapped in convenience and wastefulness , but it does have a cost.  As food prices rise, I find myself making our own GF granola bars now to save some money.  We eat some kind of legume at least twice a week.  I menu plan our evening meals so I know exactly what I need from the store and I'm not guessing.  (Breakfast and Lunch are pretty much the same everyday, so not much thinking required there.) I'm shopping once every two weeks and not just running into town unless I can combine errands or it's for one of our many doctor appointments.  Hopefully soon (like after the tax return!, lol), I can get a solar clothes dryer (clothes line) since now I don't have to worry about neighbors seeing my clean (or dirty) laundry.  :)

If you have some tip on how to save money, I would love to hear it!

No comments: