Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The REAL "Tortilla Tuesday"

After our preemptive Tortilla Tuesday last week, I had been looking forward to "the real deal" on the 29th. I think the kids were looking forward to it as well. When Mr. Incredible arrived home and looked at what I was cooking, "oh, it's Tuesday" escaped with very little zeal. My wonderful Mr. Incredible was raised on "meat and potatoes" and does not like vegetarian meals. I however was raised on a mostly vegetarian diet, because we couldn't afford meat. The last fourteen years have been interesting trying to find a balance in our diet and we aren't there yet :)

The kids have loved (with the exception of one and he does like the tortillas!) having beans and rice with tortillas on Tuesday for the last couple of weeks. Tortilla Tuesday has also afforded me the opportunity to have ANY of our children come help stir the beans or make the tortillas. (not always possible with every meal) It's a nutricious and simple meal. (my life needs that right now :)) What an opportunity it has also provided to sit and eat a meal that so many others share ALL the time and reflect on how BLESSED our family is. Though the meal may not be Mr. Incredible's favorite, he does a wonderful job leading the kids in thinking outside of their world.

I actually managed to snap a few pics this week, ENJOY!


the effects of saying 'smile' 


At least he likes the tortillas!

Maybe no hot sauce next time...
 


Recovered from the hot sauce and back to charming the camera :)



With the preemptive Tortilla Tuesday last week both Mr. Incredible and myself ended up with heartburn. So I researched and tried a variation this week- no onions and added a little baking soda to the beans. Well the heartburn wasn't as bad this week, so maybe more baking soda next week because I think Tortilla Tuesday is going to hang around for awhile!!!

No comments: